Friday, May 1, 2009

A tribute to my best high school teachers

 Tulips in spring in the city park of Halle, Germany
High school life has a special place in our hearts. “High school life I remember kay ganda,” according to Sharon Cuneta’s classic song. Maybe we remember it fondly since it is the time when most of us have fallen in love or have fallen into the pit of broken hearts for the first time. High school is a critical stage in our lives because it is the period when our dreams (both possible and impossible!) of what we want to be in the future are hatched. It is that phase in our long schooling when teachers can positively or negatively impact our lives and careers.
There are good teachers in elementary and college, but we seem to remember much better those from high school. Among the many teachers I had in high school at the Eastern Samar State University (formerly ESNRAS) in Borongan, five stood out the best. They were Mr. Ismael Bocar, Mrs. Teresita B. Caharop, Ms. Cecilia Tagle, Mr. Benjamin C. Catimon, and Mr. Francisco Cabalonga. These high school teachers were outstanding not only because they showed a mastery of the subjects they were teaching but also because they were very hardworking and passionate teachers. Moreover, they showed genuine concern for their young students.
Mr. Bocar and Ms. Tagle have already left this world. Mr. Bocar was well-known and admired for his wit and happy disposition. He was a great motivator as well. He reminded us always to look at the bright side of life. I still remember the joke that he wrote on the cover of his book on scouting, which said: “Kan Mr. Bocar ako libro. Ayaw ako kawata, kay kairo niya. Iuli la ako ha iya (I'm Mr. Bocar's book. Don't steal me from him. Have pity on him. Return me to him)." Also, his favorite statement when giving advice to students was, “Pamati kamo ha akon, kay tipakadto pa la kamo, pabalik na ako (Listen to me since I have been there where you are going and I am on my way back)." Miss Tagle, on the other hand, was the serious and perfectionist type, although she would also tell us nice anecdotes to make her English class interesting.
The last time I saw and had a talk with Ms. Tagle and Mr. Bocar was during our high school graduation ceremonies. Ms. Tagle congratulated me for graduating as Class Valedictorian and said she was happy that my valedictory speech went well. (She was the one who coached me on how to deliver it convincingly). Mr. Bocar, who was my first-year adviser, congratulated my parents and said to me, “Upaya na la botoy, paniguro gud. Sigurado ako, magigin successful ka (Do your best and work hard. I am sure you will be successful). Go follow your dreams. Good luck.”
So I worked hard and followed my dreams. I don’t know if what I have achieved can already be called success. But whatever it’s called, Mr. Bocar would have surely smiled and said: “nasiring pa daw ako" (as what I have said). I believe it is never too late to thank these five outstanding teachers for helping me to become the person and professional I am today.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Victor - good to see your blog. I visited ESSU last year -- http://is.gd/ya6G -- I've added a link to your blog from easternsamartime.blogspot.com and my wife (from Borongan) and I look forward to seeing more of your informative posts! Cheers, W

Anonymous said...

akay, oo gad hi si bocar. maopay ko ga at hiya ano kay joker.

esnras '80

Anonymous said...

WOW! Dr. Asio its really amazing and you're a great pride for us Tabunanon.Even I didnt saw you personally, but until now I could still remember what my parents told me when I was a teenager " pagsugad kamo kan Victor nga nagaaram hin tuhay" kay sugad ko naman kay hin-o nga Victor? kan mana Mering anak..Tapos ig-eestorya na an im kinabuhi tikang ha Kanoktan ngadto ha Germany.. What else I can say? AMAZING!!

Victor B. Asio said...

That's a very nice surprise! I am really happy that a Tabunanon and kababayan has written a message. Thank you very much for your kind words. Hain ka man yana? Siguro, yaadto ka liwat hit harayo ano? Maopay konta kon magkirokilala kita. My email address is: victor.asio@daad-alumni.de

God bless and best regards!

JC said...

I was also a student in college of Mrs. Caharop. Sa palagay ko, isa siya sa pinakamagaling dyan sa ESSC. Sayang lang na hindi siya nanalo sa pagka president ng school, progressive na sana yan ngayon. Teacher ko rin ang isa pa dyan sa list mo pero hindi ko masyado na appreciate ang subject niya. Pero ok rin magturo.

Maypangdananon said...

pinaka maopay ko gad adto hi mam tagle besan kon nagkore ak pag pasar han iya subject salit winaray la it ak comment dinhi kay naobos na an ak gotiay nga english nga tikan kan mam tagle LOL. salamt sir hini nga imo tribute.

Janet of San Julian said...

Palagi kinekwento ng nanay ko si Mr. Bocar kasi titser daw niya yon. Talagang palabiro daw yon pero talagang matulungin at maawain. Ngayon wala ng ganyan dyan sa ESSU kaya hindi ako nagpatuloy ng pag-aaral dyan, ayoko ng mga instructors ko.

Someone from Hongkong said...

I have hear about your name Sir before but I did not know you. I finish my college from ESSU and now I work in Hongkong as DH. Honestly my course is useless because it is not related with my job. But I learned to work very very hard when I was student there in ESSU. Therefore I thank the good people there like my teachers Dr. Caharop and Dr. Gayo.

Victor B. Asio said...

Thank you for your message. It is very common to many of our kababayans that what they studied in college is not related to their job. But this is normal under the present economic situation of our country.You know, I am glad that your training and experience in college have made you a better person and worker. Your teachers at ESSU will still be happy to hear that.