Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Santacruzan in Taipei

During my scientific research work at National Taiwan University in Taipei about three years ago, I had the opportunity to witness the very colorful and lively “Santacruzan” organized by the St. Christopher Church of Taipei. Santacruzan is a traditional religious beauty pagent held in many parts of the Philippines during the month of May.

I estimate that no less than 2,000 Filipinos working in Taiwan and many Taiwanese-Filipinos living in Taipei participated in the activity. It was a unique experience for me not only because the celebration was held in another country but also because the parish priest at the time, Father Romy, was a college classmate of mine. It was a nice surprise for me to meet him in Taipei many years after we graduated from college (after college, he went to Rome to study for the priesthood while I went somewhere else for graduate studies).

During the activity, I met several kababayans from different parts of Eastern Samar. Some of them told me that they were enjoying their jobs in Taipei but a few complained of homesickness although their jobs were not difficult. I asked them if they knew how many Estehanons were working in Taiwan but nobody knew about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your blog is good .
I like it.

Victor B. Asio said...

Thanks a lot. regards.