Sunday, April 26, 2009

Limestone rock for the road or for soil improvement?


During my Eastern Samar visit a year ago, I observed the mining of limestone deposits at several sites along the national "highway" for road rehabilitation purposes. In one place near Maydolong, I noticed the high quality of the limestone rock being mined. So I took a sample and brought it to my laboratory for analysis.

The analysis results confirmed my earlier observation: the limestone is composed of 99 percent calcium carbonate (with little contaminants) and can be a good liming material for the unproductive acidic soils in Samar. In fact using it as soil amendment would be a much better option than as road amendment. Calcium carbonate is soluble in water and thus is not stable and not very suitable as road material. Its solubility increases tremendously when the water is slightly acidic like when there are organic materials or "dirt" in it (as in a road of course!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Nice Information.