Saturday, April 25, 2009

Interesting Salcedo phenomenon


In Salcedo, one can find a unique and interesting natural phenomenon. The area around Naparaan including the campus of Eastern Samar State University (formerly Salcedo Samar Agricultural College or SSAC) has one of the oldest soils in the whole island of Samar. The soil which developed from ultrabasic rocks that came from deep in the Earth's crust, is very red, deep, clayey, and very sticky when it is wet. It is called in science as Ferralsol and is widespread in Central America and Central Africa. When I was in high school, I was a delegate to a provincial student conference held at SSAC. It was at this conference that I had my first memorable encounter with the Salcedo soil- my one and only pair of white tennis shoes turned red permanently!

No comments: